American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Shaped like a tongue: lingulate antennae.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Formed like a tongue; strap-shaped; ligulate.
- adj. In the shape of a tongue
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Shaped like the tongue or a strap; ligulate.
- adj. shaped like a tongue
- Latin lingulātus, from lingula, diminutive of lingua, tongue; see lingua. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I also saw a beautiful species of Lupin, having pale green villous lingulate *”
Travels Through North & South Carolina, Georgia, East & West Florida, the Cherokee Country, the Extensive Territories of the Muscogulges, or Creek Confederacy, and the Country of the Chactaws; Containing An Account of the Soil and Natural Productions of Those Regions, Together with Observations on the Manners of the Indians.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘lingulate’.
Word Depository 08
Words meaning tongue-shaped
Looking for tweets for lingulate.