from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Strictly observant of or devoted to ceremony, ritual, or etiquette; punctilious: "borne on silvery trays by ceremonious world-weary waiters” ( Financial Times).
- adj. Characterized by ceremony.
- adj. In accord with prescribed or customary usage; rigidly formal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Fond of ceremony, ritual or strict etiquette; punctilious
- adj. Characterized by rigid formality
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Consisting of outward forms and rites; ceremonial. [In this sense ceremonial is now preferred.]
- adj. According to prescribed or customary rules and forms; devoted to forms and ceremonies; formally respectful; punctilious.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of or relating to outward forms and rites; conformable to prescribed ceremony.
- Full of ceremony or formality; marked by solemnity of manner or method.
- According to prescribed or customary formalities or punctilios; characterized by more elaborate forms of politeness than are commonly used between intimate acquaintances; formal in manner or method: as, ceremonious phrases.
- Observant of conventional forms; fond of using ceremony; punctilious as to outward observances and ceremonies.
- Synonyms Ceremonious, Ceremonial, Formal. Ceremonious, full of ceremony, fond of ceremony; ceremonial, consisting in or having the nature of ceremony, or bearing upon ceremonies: as, ceremonious manners, persons; ceremonial law, rites, uncleanness. Formal differs from ceremonious in that a formal person tries too hard to conform to rule in his whole bearing as well as in his bearing toward others, while a ceremonious person magnifies too much the conventional rules of social intercourse; thus both are opposed to natural, formal to easy, and ceremonious to hearty or friendly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characterized by pomp and ceremony and stately display
- adj. rigidly formal or bound by convention
Sorry, no etymologies found.