from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to a knight or knights.
- adj. Befitting a knight; formally courteous (as a knight); chivalrous, gallant and courtly.
- adv. In the manner of a knight; chivalrously.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a knight; becoming a knight; chivalrous
- adv. In a manner becoming a knight.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a knight or knights; befitting a knight; chivalrous: as, a knightly combat.
- In a manner like or becoming a knight; chivalrously.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characteristic of the time of chivalry and knighthood in the Middle Ages
- adj. being attentive to women like an ideal knight
From Middle English knightly, knightlich, from Old English cnihtlīċ ("boyish, youthful, childish"), equivalent to knight + -ly. Cognate with Dutch knechtelijk ("servile"), German knechtlich ("menial"). (Wiktionary)