from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or suggestive of war.
- adj. Relating to or connected with the armed forces or the profession of arms.
- adj. Characteristic of or befitting a warrior.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, relating to, or suggestive of war; warlike.
- adj. Relating to or connected with the armed forces or the profession of arms or military life.
- adj. Characteristic of or befitting a warrior; having a military bearing; soldierly, soldierlike, warriorlike.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or suited for, war; military
- adj. Practiced in, or inclined to, war; warlike; brave.
- adj. Belonging to war, or to an army and navy; -- opposed to
- adj. Pertaining to, or resembling, the god, or the planet, Mars.
- adj. Pertaining to, or containing, iron; chalybeate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- [capitalized] Pertaining to or characteristic of the god Mars.
- Of or pertaining to war; of warlike character; military; warlike; soldierly: as, a martial equipage or appearance; martial music; a martial nation.
- Having reference to a state of war, or to a military organization; connected with the army and navy: opposed to civil: as, martial law; a court martial.
- [capitalized] Pertaining to or resembling the planet Mars.
- In old chemistry, having the properties of iron.
- n. A soldier, or military man.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. suggesting war or military life
- adj. (of persons) befitting a warrior
- n. Roman poet noted for epigrams (first century BC)
- adj. of or relating to the armed forces
I been in martial arts for a long time, and I have met quite a few women who could mop the floor with any man they met (it is technique not strength, that wins the fight).
Nothing less than a court martial is what each 1 should face,
One of the acitivities at the camp was to bring expert in martial arts to teach the girls little but effective self defense they can use to get themselves out of any danger.
MABERRY: Joe's reactions are based partly on my own views and teachings in martial arts, and on the kinds of reactions and reflexes I've seen in men I've met who work in SWAT and Special Ops. Immediate reaction without hesitation is a prized skill, and very often it's the dividing line between those who can hack it in Special Ops and those who can't.
Bruce Lee was a great action movie hero and a professional in martial arts.
An accused at a court-martial is guaranteed the right to a speedy trial under the Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution, which is triggered when charges are preferred.
What you do with him is ask what his favorites in martial arts film are.
Its primary use in courts martial is for forcible sodomy or childabuse.
A transcript of his court martial is "not in file".
I know that many Asians are tired of being stereotyped in martial arts films.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.