from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or suggestive of war.
- adj. Relating to or connected with the armed forces or the profession of arms.
- adj. Characteristic of or befitting a warrior.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, relating to, or suggestive of war; warlike.
- adj. Relating to or connected with the armed forces or the profession of arms or military life.
- adj. Characteristic of or befitting a warrior; having a military bearing; soldierly, soldierlike, warriorlike.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or suited for, war; military
- adj. Practiced in, or inclined to, war; warlike; brave.
- adj. Belonging to war, or to an army and navy; -- opposed to
- adj. Pertaining to, or resembling, the god, or the planet, Mars.
- adj. Pertaining to, or containing, iron; chalybeate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- [capitalized] Pertaining to or characteristic of the god Mars.
- Of or pertaining to war; of warlike character; military; warlike; soldierly: as, a martial equipage or appearance; martial music; a martial nation.
- Having reference to a state of war, or to a military organization; connected with the army and navy: opposed to civil: as, martial law; a court martial.
- [capitalized] Pertaining to or resembling the planet Mars.
- In old chemistry, having the properties of iron.
- n. A soldier, or military man.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. suggesting war or military life
- adj. (of persons) befitting a warrior
- n. Roman poet noted for epigrams (first century BC)
- adj. of or relating to the armed forces
Middle English, from Latin Mārtiālis, from Mārs, Mārt-, Mars.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin martialis ("of Mars (Roman god of war)") (Wiktionary)