American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Belligerent; hostile.
- adj. Of or relating to war; martial.
- adj. Indicative of or threatening war.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fond of war; easily provoked to war; ready to engage in war; fit or prepared for war: martial: as, a warlike nation.
- Of or pertaining to war; martial; military.
- Betokening or threatening war; hostile.
- Having a martial appearance; having the qualities of a soldier; befitting a soldier.
- Synonyms Bellicose, hostile.
- 1-4. Military, etc. See martial.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Fit for war; disposed for war.
- adj. Belonging or relating to war; military; martial.
- adj. suggesting war or military life
- adj. disposed to warfare or hard-line policies
- From war + -like. (Wiktionary)
“Lakhdar Boumediene himself, for example, was seized while completely unarmed and not engaged in warlike acts in Bosnia based on intelligence that implicated him in planning to bomb an embassy.”
“At earliest dawn on September 16 our whole Brigade, preceded by a squadron of Bengal Lancers, marched in warlike formation into the Mamund Valley and was soon widely spread over its extensive area.”
“The welfare of the tribe or of the nation has clearly depended in warlike ages on the number of adult males capable of bearing arms that it could mobilise for every tribal or national emergency.”
“Tina Percival," said Miss Asphyxia, in warlike tones, "do you speak out plain, or I 'll box yer ears.”
“Valentinian, encompassed with the eagles of the legions, and the various banners of the cavalry and infantry, was conducted, in warlike pomp, to the palace of Nice.”
“American soldiers committed, their demeanor has been warlike, which is not perceived by the occupied populace as reassuring or secure, but as frightening and dangerous.”
“Isa 3: 12; Ec 10: 16). babes -- in warlike might; antithesis to "the mighty" and "man of war.”
“If they did, liberal states would not be warlike, which is far from the case.”
“Their own quarrels, and their national enmity to the Bisharein, with whom they are never known to be at peace, have rendered the people of Taka a warlike nation.”
“After he had recalled his warlike achievements in a great speech corresponding to the loftiness of his theme, his language rising to the level of his exploits, he bared his breast, ennobled by the scars of battle, and looking towards the Capitol repeatedly invoked Jupiter and the other deities to come to the aid of his shattered fortunes.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘warlike’.
From the Brooklyn Bridge to St. Petersburg /
In every boardroom or boudoir across the world /
From the Fall of Rome to the Renaissance /
Through Reformation, Cold War, Vietnam.
things i like
Looking for tweets for warlike.