from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One taking part in a contest; a competitor.
- n. One that contests or disputes something, such as an election or a will.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A participant in a contest
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who contests; an opponent; a litigant; a disputant; one who claims that which has been awarded to another.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who contests; a disputant; a litigant: commonly used of one who contests the result of an election, or the proceeding for probate of a will.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who participates in competitions
- n. a person who dissents from some established policy
Sorry, no etymologies found.