American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A tough and aggressive or violent youth.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Originally, a member of a South London gang of young street rowdies said to have been led by one named Hooligan, who indulged in boisterous horseplay and breaches of the peace; hence, any street ruffian, especially one who is a member of an organized gang; a ‘hoodlum.’
- To play the hooligan.
- To assault in the manner of the hooligans.
- n. a cruel and brutal fellow
- Almost certainly from the surname Houlihan. (Wiktionary)
- Origin unknown. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“1 What do you call a hooligan on a mobility scooter?”
“There was no interest in fighting, or engaging in any so-called hooligan behaviour.”
“Victor, the thought of you being called a hooligan is cracking me up Thanks for sharing your interesting perspective.”
“McQueen was known as a hooligan of high fashion because of the way he barreled through life, thumbing his nose at popular convention.”
“A football firm (also known as a hooligan firm) is a gang formed to fight with members supporters from other clubs.”
“Mixing his tailoring skills with outrageous sensibilities, Mr. McQueen, dubbed the "hooligan" of British fashion, quickly became a sensation.”
“The origin of its current usage is currently unknown but is widely believed to be a shortened form of "hooligan".”
“• An under age criminal must now be called a "child at risk", so that he does not become traumatized by the word "hooligan".”
“Mr. Hampton and the cast cycled through dozens of English phrases for the French word "caractériel," someone who relishes in behaving badly, including "self-centered brute," "hooligan," "delinquent.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hooligan’.
words for those who commit particular crimes: i.e., bank robber, arsonist, etc.
Buzzwords of our time
WARNING: VERY EXPLICIT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
funny derogatory names, quotes, phrases.
( open list, randomness, ad hom, ad hominem )
buttfucking quitter, dirty sanchez, donkey punch, falcon punch, assbadger, unicorn turd, assclown, fudgenut, quackery, friggin homo, buttmuncher, jackwagon and 274 more...
already several of these lists, but I wanted my own
Goatboy's Word Emporium
nouns for bad people / words that describe bad people.
goto the good people list
( people, character, descriptor, noun )
My big word list.
Names of places, animals, plants, people, etc. found in and around Alaska.
Looking for tweets for hooligan.