from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tough and aggressive or violent youth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person that causes trouble or violence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Originally, a member of a South London gang of young street rowdies said to have been led by one named Hooligan, who indulged in boisterous horseplay and breaches of the peace; hence, any street ruffian, especially one who is a member of an organized gang; a ‘hoodlum.’
- To play the hooligan.
- To assault in the manner of the hooligans.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a cruel and brutal fellow
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Almost certainly from the surname Houlihan. (Wiktionary)