from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fairylike or elfin creature, especially one that is mischievous; a playful sprite.
- adj. Playfully mischievous.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A playful sprite, elflike or fairy-like creature.
- n. a cute, petite woman with short hair
- n. an upper-atmospheric optical phenomena associated with thunderstorms, a short-lasting pinpoint of light on the surface of convective domes that produces a gnome.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See pixy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (folklore) fairies that are somewhat mischievous
- n. creeping evergreen shrub having narrow overlapping leaves and early white star-shaped flowers; of the pine barrens of New Jersey and the Carolinas
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)