from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of pixie.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An old English name for a fairy; an elf.
- n. A low creeping evergreen plant (Pyxidanthera barbulata), with mosslike leaves and little white blossoms, found in New Jersey and southward, where it flowers in earliest spring.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fairy: so called in rural parts of England, and associated with the “fairy rings” of old pastures, in which they are suppoed to dance by moonlight.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. creeping evergreen shrub having narrow overlapping leaves and early white star-shaped flowers; of the pine barrens of New Jersey and the Carolinas
- n. (folklore) fairies that are somewhat mischievous
Sorry, no etymologies found.
"a kelpie is an imaginary water sprite, you know, and a pixy is a-- a-- why, a sort of make-believe fairy who lives in the water."
The ninth novel in the “Hollow” series has witch and bounty hunter Rachel Morgan traveling cross-county with an elf, pixy and vampire.
Under James Conlon's sensitive and idiomatic leadership, and after some rough moments in the overture on opening night, the orchestra sparkled as it kept the action moving, sprinkling Rossinian pixy dust over the assembled and deftly changing gears from the frivolity later on for a few tender moments.
I want a gas chamber that sprays pixy sticks instead of poison.
I happen to love frogs : Even had a pixy frog as a pet until it died in a house fire.
If anyone things she wants BO to win then i have some magic pixy dust i want to sell you.
That gap needs a strong dose of incredible shrinking pixy dust in the form of steeply progressive taxes, expanded unionization and a dramatic increase in the minimum wage, which is precisely what happened during our boom years after World War II.
Obama wants to supply similar pixy dust to the financial sector.
With a pixy grin, she ushers Bill and I into their two-storied house on the edge of town.
Made my day, although James writing about the pixy a few years back was brilliant.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.