American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An imaginary gnomelike creature to whom mechanical problems, especially in aircraft, are attributed.
- n. A maker of mischief.
- n. A mythical creature reputed to be mechanically inclined and mischievously inclined to damage or dismantle machinery.
- n. by extension Any mysterious, unknown source of trouble or mischief.
- n. (folklore) fairies that are somewhat mischievous
- Possibly from Old English grëmian ("to vex", "to anger"), related to German grämen and Swedish gräma ("to grieve"). (Wiktionary)
- Perhaps blend of Irish gruaimín, bad-tempered little fellow (from Middle Irish gruaim, gloom, surliness) and goblin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“When the gremlin is kneeling on the wing prying up the panel you can see the actor's shoes under his gremlin costume.”
“Her gremlin is her twin self, who talks to her in the second person, tells her to play it safe and not stick out from the crowd.”
“[Just a side note: Mohawk was only created because Stripe was so popular and there needed to be a Mohawk-stylin 'gremlin in the second one.] i actually liked the smart one in part 2 cause he was kinda funny. or the one that dressed as a female”
“During WWII, EMI was commonly known as a gremlin who would take over the electrical system of a fighter plane wrecking havoc on the control systems, especially during thunderstorms or highly charged atmosphere.”
“I just wanna say. .quick, because the gremlin is starting to wake up … oops, she’s grumbling.”
“When Anthony Overfield rides his motorcycle, he carries two passengers on board: so-called gremlin bells.”
“He is Gremlin Gus— almost as if the gremlin is an imaginary dark alter ego of the pilot who has first seen him.”
“May 20, 2008 at 10:50 am i tawht a gremlin was a car?”
“The emotional, irrational part is the chimp while the gremlin is the negative belief or behaviour which has the potential to inhibit performance.”
“In indonesia the brits did the same thing, use the Japanese soldiers to maintain law and order in Indonesia, of course it sort of failed with the battle of surabaya wu lah, it was called the gremlin force. can check on the net. i think the rearmed japanese killed at least a few hundred vietminhs。”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gremlin’.
A marque list for cars--models or companies who've used common words as their name.
Start with the effect, the what; signal-patch known-belief spirit. "Write my program, routine me." New cue vs brand loyalty. Ritual Ceremony Design Technologies, Inc.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
All of these things exist, I swear!
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 1972 more...
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Words which fit the joke format: "How do you like X-in(g)? I don't know, I've never X-ed".
Looking for tweets for gremlin.