from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The satellite of Uranus that is 12th in distance from the planet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A name for the city of Jerusalem.
- proper n. A male given name, also ascribed to spirits and angels in English literature.
- proper n. A female given name, used mainly since the 1980s.
- proper n. Name of the twelfth and brightest moon of the planet Uranus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A variety of the gazelle (Antilope dorcas, or Gazella, dorcas), found in Arabia and adjacent countries.
- A squirrel-like Australian marsupial, a species of Petaurus.
- A beautiful Brazilian toucan Ramphastos ariel).
- n. In the Cabala, a water spirit; in later folklore, a light and graceful spirit of the air.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. [lowercase] An altar. See etymology and quotation.
- n. The innermost of the satellites of Uranus, discovered by Lassell in 1851. It revolves about its primary in 2½ days.
- n. [lowercase] In ornithology, applied to sundry birds of buoyant airy flight: as, the ariel swallow, Chelidon ariel; the ariel petrel, Procellaria ariel; the ariel toucan, Rhamphastos ariel.
- n. In zoology, an Arabian gazel, Gazella dama.
After Ariel, a mischievous sprite in The Tempest by William Shakespeare.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Biblical Hebrew, meaning "lion of God". (Wiktionary)