from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An often mischievous household elf in German folklore.
- n. A gnome that haunts underground places in German folklore.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A mischievous elf, or an evil spirit; a goblin.
- n. One of a diminutive and usually evil race of beings.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of domestic spirit in German mythology, corresponding to the Scottish brownie and the English Robin Goodfellow.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Germany, an elemental spirit, or nature-spirit of the earth, corresponding to this element as undines, sylphs, and salamanders respectively correspond to water, air, and fire; a gnome or goblin.
German, from Middle High German kobolt; see cobalt.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From German Kobold. (Wiktionary)