from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To appear darkly or indistinctly.
- intransitive v. To grow dark.
- intransitive v. To become gloomy.
- transitive v. To make dark or indistinct: "the dramatist . . . whose province it is to darkle and obscure” ( London National Observer).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To be dark; to be visible only darkly.
- v. To become dark; to show indistinctly.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To grow dark; to show indistinctly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To appear dark; show indistinctly.
- To become dark or gloomy.
You remember that darkle we had in the grenadier company?
Whom It quickens, let them darkle to extinction swift and sure.
By it we have acquired many every-day words, among them, to accept (from acceptum), to exact (from exactum), to darkle (from darkling), and pea (from pease = pois).
Say any dream of all the dreams that drift and darkle, glint and glow,
A single hobgoblin bassoon croaks ludicrously away, the pixies darkle and flirt and dance their hearts out of them.
Contemporary American Composers Being a Study of the Music of This Country, Its Present Conditions and Its Future, with Critical Estimates and Biographies of the Principal Living Composers; and an Abundance of Portraits, Fac-simile Musical Autographs, and Compositions
In the fitful light darkle and gleam the swarthy-hued faces around them.
And her proud brow's blue veins to swell and darkle.
darkle, I doubt if you could have pulled that stunt with daddy in my school then o!
The rough pine-floors showed a black border of tack-heads where carpets had been lifted and put down for generations; the white paint was yellow with age; the apartment had light at the front and at the back, and two or three rooms had glimpses of the day through small windows let into their corners; another one seemed lifting an appealing eye to heaven through a glass circle in its ceiling; the rest must darkle in perpetual twilight.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.