from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of the Girl Scouts from six through eight years of age.
- n. A bar of moist, usually chocolate cake, often with nuts.
- n. A small sprite thought to do helpful work at night.
- n. A brown trout.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small square piece of rich cake, usually made with chocolate.
- n. A mythical creature, a helpful elf who would do people′s housework for them.
- n. A household spirit or revered ancestor.
- n. (colloquial) A tall, long-necked beer bottle, made from brown coloured glass.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An imaginary good-natured spirit, who was supposed often to perform important services around the house by night, such as thrashing, churning, sweeping.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Scotland, a spirit supposed to haunt houses, particularly farm-houses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (folklore) fairies that are somewhat mischievous
- n. square or bar of very rich chocolate cake usually with nuts
- n. a junior Girl Scout
Sense 3, from the notion of the sprite as a tiny brown man.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From brown + -ie (“diminutive suffix”). (Wiktionary)