from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dish, usually of earthenware, glass, or cast iron, in which food is both baked and served.
- n. Food prepared and served in such a dish.
- n. Chemistry A small-handled, deep porcelain crucible used for heating and evaporating.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dish of glass or earthenware, with a lid, in which food is baked and sometimes served.
- n. Food, such as a stew, cooked in such a dish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small round dish with a handle, usually of porcelain.
- n. A mold (in the shape of a hollow vessel or incasement) of boiled rice, mashed potato or paste, baked, and afterwards filled with vegetables or meat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A stew-pan or saucepan.
- n. Hence— A dish prepared in such a pan; a sort of stew: as, a casserole of mutton.
- n. A sort of cup made of rice, mashed potatoes, or the like, and browned in the oven, designed to contain some delicate and highly flavored dish.
- n. Less properly, a rim or edging, as of rice, around the edge of a dish of stew, or the like.
- n. A small handled dish, almost as deep as it is wide, made of porcelain, and holding from 5 to 20 ounces, used in chemical laboratories for evaporating solutions to dryness and for other purposes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. food cooked and served in a casserole
- n. large deep dish in which food can be cooked and served
The term casserole means "saucepan" in French, but a more modern translation should be
Either way, the point being that while this casserole is absurdly easy and kind of reminds you of 1950s era casserole with its reliance on canned soup, it packs a wollop of flavor.
This casserole is a great example of comfort food.
While the casserole is baking, prepare the seafood.
When you are close to finishing the seafood, remove the casserole from the oven (do not let it stay in the oven for longer than 25 minutes), but leave it covered until you are done.
Remove the foil and continue baking until the casserole is quite hot throughout the rice (maybe another 15 minutes at the most).
Bake for about 45 minutes, until eggs are set and casserole is not “wet” in the middle.
Pour sauce over tofu and vegetables in casserole dish.
Squash casserole is my second favorite casserole ever - right after King Ranch!
Layer dressing and squash mixture in casserole, ending with dressing.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.