from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A thick soup containing fish or shellfish, especially clams, and vegetables, such as potatoes and onions, in a milk or tomato base.
- n. A soup similar to this seafood dish: corn chowder.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thick, creamy soup or stew.
- n. A stew, particularly fish or seafood, not necessarily thickened.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A dish made of fresh fish or clams, biscuit, onions, etc., stewed together.
- n. A seller of fish.
- transitive v. To make a chowder of.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make a chowder of: as, to chowder fish.
- n. A dish of fish or clams boiled with biscuits or crackers, pork, potatoes, onions, etc., and variously seasoned. It is common among the fishermen on the banks of Newfoundland and in New England.
- n. A picnic party, especially at the sea-shore, at which the main dish is chowder. See def. 1.
- n. A fish-seller. Halliwell.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a thick soup or stew made with milk and bacon and onions and potatoes
I use the term chowder here in the sense of a milky, fishy soup.
Umm that's a pretty fantastic garden for an apartment dweller and the chowder is awesome.
Yes | No | Report from fishallday wrote 21 weeks 2 days ago chowder is amazing and that looks delicious.
Perhaps a crab corn chowder is in order or maybe some stuufed shrimp or flounder with that crab/ritz cracker stuffing … Please tell me clearing weather is moving this way …
This particular chowder is classically simple, but there are lots of possible variations.
I got the idea for this chowder from the Herbfarm Cookbook.
Some variation of this method appears in all the published chowder recipes I've seen, but chowder is a bit of a sacred cow.
Salmon chowder is interesting, and a bit different too.
I love their onigiris and sandwiches .. best place ever and in the winter months they have a nice soup selection .. chicken corn chowder is the best .. however you must get there early for that soup .. it gets sold out fast!
In the case of using the word chowder I checked my references first, and was vindicated.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.