from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A highly seasoned stew made of several kinds of fish and shellfish.
- n. A combination of various different, often incongruous elements: a bouillabaisse of special interests.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bouillabaisse, a type of French fish soup.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In cookery, a kind of fish-chowder popular in some parts of France, especially at Marseilles.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. highly seasoned Mediterranean soup or stew made of several kinds of fish and shellfish with tomatoes and onions or leeks and seasoned with saffron and garlic and herbs
French, from Provençal bouiabaisso : boui, imperative of bouie, to boil (from Latin bullīre, from bulla, bubble) + abaisso, imperative of abeissa, to lower (from Vulgar Latin *abbassiāre : Latin ad-, ad- + Medieval Latin bassus, low).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French (Wiktionary)