from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A disclosure or statement that is less than complete.
- n. Restraint or lack of emphasis in expression, as for rhetorical effect.
- n. Restraint in artistic expression.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a disclosure or statement that is less than complete
- n. restraint or lack of emphasis, especially for ironic effect
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of understating, or the condition of being understated; that which is understated; a statement below the truth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of understating. That which is understated; a statement of less than the full truth.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a statement that is restrained in ironic contrast to what might have been said
Sorry, no etymologies found.