from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A well-seasoned meat or fish stew, usually with vegetables.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a stew of meat and vegetables mixed together
- n. any stew, soup, or sauce
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A dish made of pieces of meat, stewed, and highly seasoned.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dish of meat (usually mutton or veal) and vegetables cut small, stewed brown, and highly seasoned.
- n. Figuratively, a spicy mixture; any piquant combination of persons or things.
- To make a ragout of; to make a spicy mixture of; hence figuratively, to give spiciness or piquancy to, as speech or literary style.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. well-seasoned stew of meat and vegetables
French ragoût, from ragoûter, to revive the taste, from Old French ragouster : re-, re- + a-, to (from Latin ad; see ad-) + gost, taste (from Latin gustus).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French ragoût. (Wiktionary)