from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of a class of serfs in ancient Sparta, neither a slave nor a free citizen.
- n. A person in servitude; a serf.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An individual of the ancient Spartan class of serfs.
- n. A serf; a slave.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A slave in ancient Sparta; a Spartan serf; hence, a slave or serf.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of a class of serfs among the ancient. Spartans who were owned by the state, were bound to the soil under allotment to landholders, and fulfilled all servile functions.
- n. Hence A serf or slave, in general; a servile person; one subject, to the orders and caprices of another.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Middle Ages) a person who is bound to the land and owned by the feudal lord
From Greek Heilōtes, pl. of Heilōs, Heilōt-.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin Helotes, from Ancient Greek (Εἵλωτες), possibly from ἁλίσκομαι ("to be captured, to be made prisoner"). (Wiktionary)