from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A male bondservant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A man who is bound in servitude; a slave or serf.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man slave, or one bound to service without wages.
- n. A villain, or tenant in villenage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In old English law, a villein, or tenant in villeinage.
- n. A man slave, or a man bound to service without wages. Also improperly written bondsman.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a male bound to serve without wages
- n. a male slave
Middle English, from bonde, serf; see bondage.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
bond + -man (Wiktionary)