American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A character in fairy tales and folklore who makes children go to sleep by sprinkling sand in their eyes.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fabulous person who is supposed to make children sleepy: probably so called in allusion to the rubbing of their eyes when sleepy, as if to rub out particles of sand.
- n. A legendary figure who is said to bring good sleep and dreams by placing sand in the eyes.
- n. Used as a symbol of the passage of time to death.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A mythical person who makes children sleepy, so that they rub their eyes as if there were sand in them.
- n. an elf in fairy stories who sprinkles sand in children's eyes to make them sleepy
- sand + -man (Wiktionary)
“(Soundbite of song, "In Dreams") Mr. ORBISON: (Singing) A candy-colored clown they call the sandman tiptoes to my room every night just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper, go to sleep, everything is all right.”
“February 27, 2008 at 8:36 am a candy-colored clown they call the sandman tiptoes to my room every night just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper go to sleep, everything is all right”
““In Dreams” – any song that plays a major part in Blue Velvet AND starts, “A candy-colored clown they call the sandman…”.”
“A candy colored clown they call the sandman .... in ”
“| Reply the 3 friends I saw this with said I was stupid for thinking this, but there was not enough cool spiderman flying around and kicking ass parts to me, and I noticed (this may just be me) but his voice when he was in battles was more annoying (ex. as the sandman is robbing the van, he gets slammed against a car and yells “oww!” in an annoying tone), my friends also said I was too critical on that.”
““In Dreams” – any song that plays a major part in Blue Velvet AND starts, “A candy-colored clown they call the sandman …”.”
“(Click on the photo to enlarge ... and please excuse the marchand de sable or "sandman" in Sam The Man's eyes, but you'll allow him the excuse of complete exhaustion, won't you?!) crevé (e) (kruh-vay) adjective”
“Somebody please call the Apollo Fox Theater "sandman" to take her away!!!”
“Click on the photo to enlarge... and please excuse the marchand de sable or "sandman" in Sam The Man's eyes, but you'll allow him the excuse of complete exhaustion, won't you?”
“At last her father offered to lie on the bed till the "sandman" arrived.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sandman’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A nitty-gritty list for words containing sand-, -sand-, or -sand; and apropos terms and phrases. Your contributions are welcome.
Everything that contains a man in it
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Words from 2009 'Ghosts of Girlfriends Past' film.
Looking for tweets for sandman.