from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who delights in the revolting, morbid, or loathsome.
- n. A grave robber.
- n. An evil spirit or demon in Muslim folklore believed to plunder graves and feed on corpses.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A spirit said to feed on corpses.
- n. A graverobber; a person with an undue interest in death and corpses.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An imaginary evil being among Eastern nations, which was supposed to feed upon human bodies.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An imaginary evil being supposed among Eastern nations to prey upon human bodies; an ogre.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an evil spirit or ghost
- n. someone who takes bodies from graves and sells them for anatomical dissection
Arabic ġūl, from ġāla, to seize, snatch; see ġwl in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Persian غول (ğul) — an imaginary sylvan demon, supposed to devour men and animals. Cognate to Arabic غول and French goule, and to English alcohol. (Wiktionary)