from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An ugly, mischievous elf or goblin.
- n. An object or a source of fear, dread, or harassment; a bugbear: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds” ( Ralph Waldo Emerson).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small, ugly goblin that makes trouble for humans
- n. A source of dread, fear or apprehension; a bugbear.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A frightful goblin; an imp; a bugaboo; also, a name formerly given to the household spirit, Robin Goodfellow.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mischievous imp or sprite; an alarming apparition; hence, something that causes fear or disquiet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (folklore) a small grotesque supernatural creature that makes trouble for human beings
- n. an object of dread or apprehension
Sorry, no etymologies found.