from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that returns after a lengthy absence.
- n. One who returns after death.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who returns from a long absence.
- n. A person or thing reborn.
- n. A supernatural being that returns from the dead; a zombie or ghost.
- adj. Used as an adjective.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who returns; especially, one who returns after a long period of absence or after death; a ghost; a specter; specifically, in mod. spiritualism, an apparition; a materialization.
- n. In mathematics, a form which continually returns as leading coefficient of irreducible covariants.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. coming back
- adj. of or relating to or typical of a revenant
- n. someone who has returned from the dead
- n. a person who returns after a lengthy absence
French, from present participle of revenir, to return, from Old French; see revenue.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
19th century. From French revenant, the present participle of revenir ("to return"). Compare revenue. (Wiktionary)