from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A supernatural creature who does one's bidding when summoned.
- n. A jinni.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An invisible spirit mentioned in the Qur'an and believed by Muslims to inhabit the earth and influence mankind by appearing in the form of humans or animals.
- n. A fictional magical being that is typically bound to obey the commands of a mortal possessing its container.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as jinnee.
- n. See genius.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Disposition; inclination; turn of mind; genius.
- n. Same as jinnee. See jinn.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Islam) an invisible spirit mentioned in the Koran and believed by Muslims to inhabit the earth and influence mankind by appearing in the form of humans or animals
French génie, spirit, from Latin genius, guardian spirit; see genius.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French génie ("genius", "genie") (used to translate Arabic جِنّ (jinn) based on similarity of sound and sense) from Latin genius ("household guardian spirit") (Wiktionary)