from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A variety of squash having an elongated shape and a smooth, thin, dark green rind.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A particular variety of Cucurbita pepo, a squash/marrow.
- n. A fruit of this variety.
- n. This fruit, considered as a food; or, a dish made from it.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small cucumber-shaped vegetable marrow; typically dark green
- n. marrow squash plant whose fruit are eaten when small
Italian, pl. of zucchino, diminutive of zucca, gourd, from Late Latin cucutia.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from Italian zucchini, plural of zucchino. (Wiktionary)