American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A variety of squash having an elongated shape and a smooth, thin, dark green rind.
- n. uncountable A particular variety of Cucurbita pepo, a squash/marrow.
- n. countable A fruit of this variety.
- n. uncountable This fruit, considered as a food; or, a dish made from it.
- n. small cucumber-shaped vegetable marrow; typically dark green
- n. marrow squash plant whose fruit are eaten when small
- Borrowing from Italian zucchini, plural of zucchino. (Wiktionary)
- Italian, pl. of zucchino, diminutive of zucca, gourd, from Late Latin cucutia. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“When the onion has totally caramelized and the zucchini is a little tender, add the spices and stir.”
“Esther, grilling the zucchini is a fabulous idea -- its my favourite way to make zucchini.”
“And the zucchini is an excellent idea, none of that soaking/roasting business!”
“The zucchini is peeled, sliced, cooked, and pureed in preparation for the pie, and the completed filling is topped with a cinnamon-sugar mix - yum!”
“Stir fry until the zucchini is crisp tender and turning golden in spots.”
“I love anything with brown butter, and I just pulled my first zucchini from the garden.”
“Sautee zucchini ribbons and drained noodles in a nonstick saucepan until hot and zucchini is beginning to soften.”
“The fried zucchini is good and the salad I had came with the typical-for-Pittsburgh French fries on top.”
“Cook, without disturbing, until the zucchini is browned on the bottom; turn the zucchini over and brown on the second side.”
“Make the koftas: Mix 1.5 C shredded zucchini, 1/2 C besan (chickpea flour), 2 T minced onion, 1 t coriander-cumin powder, and salt, turmeric and red chilli powder to taste, and make a thick batter (you do not need water, the water from the zucchini is sufficient).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘zucchini’.
Culturally defined terms and expressions from the four corners of the world
Words that sound like sneezes
Crops, fruits and vegetables + plant growing terms
words delicious to pronounce
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
words wot i already knew
As much fun to say as they are to eat.
being items relating to food, cooking and the kitchen.
Looking for tweets for zucchini.