from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A type of onion with long, pointed, pear-shaped, aggregated bulbs.
- n. The mild-flavored bulb of this plant, used in cookery.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a type of onion of the species Allium ascalonium.
- n. a type of onion of the species Allium oschaninii.
- n. any small onion.
- n. A scallion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small kind of onion (Allium Ascalonicum) growing in clusters, and ready for gathering in spring; a scallion, or eschalot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A vegetable of the onion kind, Allium Ascalonicum, native in Syria, and elsewhere cultivated; the seallion or cibol.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small mild-flavored onion-like or garlic-like clustered bulbs used for seasoning
- n. aggregate bulb of the multiplier onion
- n. type of onion plant producing small clustered mild-flavored bulbs used as seasoning
It's like, a fancy French shallot from the farmer's market, versus a regular old supermarket yellow one.
Also slice thinly a shallot, which is a cross between a garlic clove and an onion in much the same way that a mule is the cross between a male donkey and a female horse (´cept a lot different).
But the rest are coming on well (great with a cheese and "shallot" sandwich at the weekend).
In a blender or food processor, chop the sorrel and shallot to a fine puree.
The smoky density of the mackerel was nicely offset by the pointed black olive tapenade and the fresh, zingy flavours present in little tangles of tomato, shallot, red pepper and spring onion, a layer of pea shoots and red chard, and the generous dressing of grassy olive oil.
She rolls a mixture of minced duck confit, savory, shallot, egg and bread crumbs into cocktail-size balls; stuffs each with a nugget of foie gras; browns them in duck fat; glazes them with fig jam, white balsamic vinegar and mustard seeds; wraps them in pieces of her Charcutepalooza cured duck breast; broils them and inserts toothpicks.
Sprinkle with the shallot and top with the strips of salmon.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the pomegranate seeds, apple, chorizo, shallot and lime juice.
Meanwhile, cook 1 minced shallot with 1 strip of bacon, sliced into matchsticks or lardons in a skillet.
When the lentils are cooked, add salt and pepper to taste, and toss with the shallot, bacon and 1 tsp. of balsamic vinegar.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.