from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, intended for, or being the early years of childhood that precede the beginning of elementary school.
- n. A school for children who are not old enough to attend kindergarten; a nursery school.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or relating to early childhood, especially to those years before attendance at primary school
- n. A nursery school
- v. To provide nursery school education for.
- v. To undergo nursery school education.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an educational institution for children too young for elementary school
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The closest American counterpart to the Bulgarian Yasli would probably be what we call preschool, though there are also elements of a nursery in there.
Disney Junior is already available in 28 other territories outside of the U.S. In launching the channel, Disney says it's broadening the focus from kids age 2-5 to kids 2-7 — a demo it calls "preschool plus."
This preschool is still standing 13-years later, abandoned but completely untouched, enabling the kids to conveniently re-discover their past.
When Scooter was in preschool, he almost always attracted some cute, blond-headed, older girl who would help him navigate social situations.
My kids all went through this crush stage when they were in preschool/kindergarten.
Her friend Natividad Sanchez, who has one child still in preschool and another who's already graduated, said "I would love to see the teacher's name and know how far my child has gone in school."
Put the kids in preschool as soon as humanly possible.
I recall some story the read to us in preschool about a hen who wanted to make bread and none of the other farm animals would help.
I have my girl in preschool and I am so thankful for it.
I watched my daughter pair up with another girl at 3 in preschool, and most of the time since then when there have been three girls together, there seems to be strife.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.