from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Christmas, or the season or feast celebrating Christmas.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Christmastide, the Christmas season, the Twelve Days of Christmas (between December 24th and January 6th).
- proper n. A pagan wintertime holiday celebrated by Germanic peoples, particularly the Scandinavian and Anglo-Saxon peoples, or a modern reconstruction of this holiday celebrated by neo-pagans.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Christmas or Christmastide; the feast of the Nativity of our Savior.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The season or feast of Christmas.
- To celebrate Yule or Christmas.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. period extending from Dec. 24 to Jan. 6
Middle English yole, from Old English geōl.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Middle English yole, from Old English geōl, geola ("Christmastide, midwinter"), either cognate with or from Old Norse jól. From Proto-Germanic *jehwlan. (Wiktionary)