from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A widely cultivated tree (Pyrus communis) in the rose family, having glossy leaves, white flowers grouped in a corymb, and edible fruit.
- n. The fruit of this tree, spherical at the base and tapering toward the stalk.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An edible fruit produced by the pear tree, similar to an apple but elongated towards the stem.
- n. A type of fruit tree (Pyrus communis).
- n. The wood of the pear tree.
- n. choke pear (a torture device)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The fleshy pome, or fruit, of a rosaceous tree (Pyrus communis), cultivated in many varieties in temperate climates; also, the tree which bears this fruit. See Pear family, below.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An obsolete form of peer.
- n. The fruit of the pear-tree.
- n. The tree Pyruts communis.
- n. A pear-shaped pearl, as for the pendant of an ear-ring. Evelyn, Mundus Muliebris
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Old World tree having sweet gritty-textured juicy fruit; widely cultivated in many varieties
- n. sweet juicy gritty-textured fruit available in many varieties
The prickly pear is ideal food for the Collared Peccary due to its high water content.
A ripe pear is juicy and tender, and no matter how tasty, it can be difficult to imagine a ripe pear holding up as well as an apple in a pie or cobbler or other fruit-heavy dish.
Hawaiian pear is now fully ripe and this is the golden hour for the United States to pluck it.
Add the fennel and pear, saute until the pear is soft.
Like a melting snowflake, the perfectly ripe pear is a fleeting thing.
I love the pear in this, the last few pear cake recipes I've seen have pureed the pear but I love when the pear is in chunks - you just appreciate the pear flavour better I think.
For whom love might be no more than open-arse and poperin pear?
Bake for about 20-30 minutes, until the pear is very tender.
A pear is just a pear, except when it is also a laser-coded information delivery system with advanced security clearance.
This body type is commonly referred to as pear-shaped, but I don't think it does anyone any good to compare herself to fruits or vegetables - unless we're discussing Paris Hilton's mental acuity.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.