American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A person whose wealth amounts to at least a million dollars, pounds, or the equivalent in other currency.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A man worth a million dollars, pounds, francs, etc.; an owner of a million or of millions.
- n. Somebody whose wealth is greater than one million units of the local currency
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One whose wealth is counted by millions of francs, dollars, or pounds; a very rich person; a person worth a million or more.
- n. a person whose material wealth is valued at more than a million dollars
- From French millionnaire. (Wiktionary)
- French millionnaire, from million, million, from Old French milion; see million. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The term millionaire can include people making tens of millions or even billions.”
“The term millionaire may apply to us all one day if inflation kicks off again.”
“Did you know that the word "millionaire" in Hindi is masculine?”
“Most of us think that someone being a millionaire is a rather rare occurrence.”
“Yes, of a truth, the millionaire is a medium, and one of the purposes of my addressing you today is to emphasize that fact so that every one of you may go out as a missionary in the enterprise of getting the millionaires of Toronto and elsewhere all over Canada to promote this much needed assimilation in our Canadianism.”
“As the gap between the super rich and even the prosperous middle classes has widened, the word "millionaire" has also become freighted with negative associations.”
“Of course a million pounds is still an awful lot of money, but the word "millionaire", as both a literal description and as shorthand for a very rich person, was first used in the early 19th century, and that was when a million pounds was as really worth something.”
“Now I don’t mean to be funny, but the last time I looked, to be a millionaire required a wealth of more that £1 million, hence, presumably, the term millionaire?”
“Uh … I feel weird having to point this out, but a millionaire is someone whose entire wealth is at least a million dollars, not someone who makes a million dollars in one year.”
“It reminds me of the old doggerel we used to say when I was a kid, “The way to become a millionaire is to start with one Dollar and double your money every day for a month.””
These user-created lists contain the word ‘millionaire’.
being words from Tom Waits songs.
Looking for tweets for millionaire.