from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of grasping or seizing.
- n. Apprehension by the senses.
- n. Understanding.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the act of grasping or gripping something, especially with the hands
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of taking hold, seizing, or grasping, as with the hand or other member.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of prehending, seizing, or taking hold.
- n. Apprehension; mental grasp.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of gripping something firmly with the hands (or the tentacles)
Latin prehēnsiō, prehēnsiōn-, from prehēnsus, past participle of prehendere, to seize; see ghend- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)