from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Peaceful relations, as between nations; friendship.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. friendship. The cooperative and supportive relationship between people, or animals. In this sense, the term connotes a relationship which involves mutual knowledge, esteem, affection, and respect along with a degree of rendering service to friends in times of need or crisis.
- n. Mutual understanding and a peaceful relationship, especially between nations; peace; accord.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Friendship, in a general sense, between individuals, societies, or nations; friendly relations; good understanding
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Friendship, in a general sense; harmony; good understanding, especially between nations; political friendship: as, a treaty of amity and commerce.
- n. Synonyms Friendliness, kindness, good will, affection, harmony.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a cordial disposition
- n. a state of friendship and cordiality
Middle English amite, from Old French, from Vulgar Latin *amīcitās, from Latin amīcus, friend.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French amitié, from Medieval Latin *amicitas ("friendship"), from Latin amīcus ("friendly, a friend"), from amō ("I love"). (Wiktionary)