American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An atmosphere of social harmony.
- n. See comity of nations.
- n. The principle by which the courts of one jurisdiction may accede or give effect to the laws or decisions of another.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Mildness and suavity in intercourse; courtesy; civility.
- n. In international law, that courtesy between states or nations by which the laws and institutions of the one are recognized, and in certain cases and under certain limitations given effect to, by the government of the other, within its territory.
- n. Synonyms Amenity, suavity, politeness, consideration.
- n. Courtesy and considerate behaviour towards others; social harmony.
- n. Friendly understanding and mutual recognition between two entities, especially nations.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Mildness and suavity of manners; courtesy between equals; friendly civility.
- n. a state or atmosphere of harmony or mutual civility and respect
- From Latin comitas, from comis ("courteous") (Wiktionary)
- Latin cōmitās, from cōmis, friendly; see smei- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“FRANKEN: You know it's -- the Senate is an institution that prides itself on what it calls comity, to be distinguished from comedy, but comity, which means intense politeness no matter what, no matter how insincere.”
“Therefore we cannot fit Greece into the jig-saw puzzle which we call the comity of nations.”
“Then Ansari, a member of the parliament took the floor and talked about the "fact finding" committee and the fact that everyone in that comity is an Ahmadinejad supporter and therefore questioned the legitimacy of the committee.”
“The principle of comity is that when one court exercising proper jurisdiction renders an opinion concerning a specific case, then that opinion is binding on other courts to which this same case (same parties, same facts, same issues) is re-presented to a different court under some pretext, except where the second court is exercising appellate review over the first decision.”
“In the name of comity, the White House went along with the headstrong senator.”
“Like Steve Martin once said, comity is not pretty!”
“Interracial comity is stronger in the field than in the garrison, stronger on duty than off, and stronger on post than in the world beyond the base …”
“They’re not the Senate, thank God, the over-riding need for Senators to have comity is well known and oft described here.”
“Yeah, it means all comity is dead, but that’s dead already.”
“Note, there’s nothing in that passage about limiting Charming Betsy to foreign claimants, or cases where international comity is at issue.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘comity’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Some more words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
Collected from reading
1999 Â· 2000 Â· 2001 Â· 2002 Â· 2003 Â· 2004 Â· 2005 Â· 2006 Â· 2007 Â· 2008
how many words can I make mine this summer?
My Favorite Words
Looking for tweets for comity.