American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Meditative; contemplative.
- adj. Oppressive: "The room's air was broody and sullen, like the season's own, full of storm clouds” ( Nicholas Proffitt).
- adj. Disposed to sit on eggs to hatch them: a broody hen.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of a brooding disposition; inclined to brood or sit, as a hen.
- Breeding or adapted for breeding: as, a broody bitch.
- n. A female bird which is in the condition to incubate eggs; a broody hen, duck, etc.
- adj. sitting persistently and protectively on a nest, in order to hatch eggs (eg, 'a broody hen').
- adj. acting interested in raising young.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Inclined to brood.
- adj. deeply or seriously thoughtful
- adj. physiologically ready to incubate eggs
- n. a domestic hen ready to brood
“I have learned about "broody" hens, well, sort of ...”
“Natural instincts are lost under domestication: a remarkable instance of this is seen in those breeds of fowls which very rarely or never become "broody," that is, never wish to sit on their eggs.”
“And now that Louise, 31, is 14 weeks pregnant, Posh is said to have become "broody".”
“With just three members to their name, this loud London trio make the kind of broody, melancholic indie that will fit comfortable between your Joy Division and Echo and The Bunnymen CDs.”
“Ready to have a baby and get "broody" Wenn. com says she wants to wrap up her tour first.”
“Fergie is ready to have a baby and is getting 'broody”
“Fergie is ready to have a baby and is getting 'broody' photo: Creative Commons/Katie Kiehn”
“broody," that is, never wish to sit on their eggs.”
“i like surfing, hiking, running, biking, laughing too loud in restaurants, straight-talking, excitement and fun. so please mail me JACOB!!!!! what a breath of fresh air. edward is moody and broody which is ok for act 1. but come on already! enough with the melodrama. did these two EVER have fun?!”
“Cantrell shifted from "broody" Seattle to California a few years after Staley's death and his words reverberate through DuVall's voice: "And so I found myself in the sun, oh yeah/A hell of a place to end a run, oh yeah/California, I'm fine/”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘broody’.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
Odd-sounding chicken breeds & chicken-related words
Words about my urban backyard chickens.
structured and spacious words - literally and figuratively
Looking for tweets for broody.