American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Determined by measurement: The measured distance was less than a mile.
- adj. Careful; restrained: spoke in measured words.
- adj. Calculated; deliberate: with measured irony.
- adj. Regular in rhythm and number: "A clock struck slowly in the house with a measured, solemn chime” ( Thomas Wolfe).
- adj. Slow and stately.
- adj. Written in meter.
- adj. Music Mensural.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Definitely ascertained or determined by measurement or rule; set off or laid down by measurement; adjusted or proportioned by rule.
- Characterized by uniformity of movement or rhythm; rhythmical; stately; formal; deliberate : as, to walk with measured tread.
- Limited or restricted; within bounds; moderate: as, to speak in no measured terms.
- adj. That has been determined by measurement.
- adj. Deliberate but restrained.
- adj. of poetry, etc. Rhythmically written in meter; metrical.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of measure.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Regulated or determined by a standard; hence, equal; uniform; graduated; limited; moderated.
- adj. the rhythmic arrangement of syllables
- adj. carefully thought out in advance
- adj. having notes of fixed rhythmic value
- adj. unhurried and with care and dignity
“The tag measured all the sounds heard by the whales and their subsequent swimming movements.”
“The last Concordia president to hang on to the job for a term measured in years rather than months has returned to take the helm of the university.”
“By claiming he had already been sentenced, and to a term measured in days not months, the defense tried to make it appear that Polanski wasn't eligible for extradition.”
“That bruin measured 19 & 13/16, made the record book and after two years of waiting, he is suppose to be fully mounted and in my basement this weekend.”
“Of your own design, you marched backward in measured retreat.”
“While given tastes at times, these scenes always come to the audience in measured doses, as if the producers are afraid too much of the good stuff will paralyze the public into a coma of suspended awesome-shock.”
“(What should be measured is not total number of blogs, but number of “active” blogs – those that have been alive for more than x months and on which postings are made every y days – there are far, far fewer of these “sustained” blogs.)”
“So, I suspect that the amounts of gases measured from the free-ranging ungulates would vary across seasons with the lowest production in the Spring since the leaves would be young, less fibrous, and more nutritious.”
“The only thing that can be measured is what people think they are, because the categorizations are completely imaginary, existing solely as social constructs.”
“Employment or output multipliers that purport to measure the secondary effects of government expenditures on employment and output should not be included in measured social benefits or costs.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘measured’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Words meaning intermediate in degree.
Poetrie #2. I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque!
Where the Sidewalk Ends
by Shel Silverstein
There is a place where the sidewalk ends
And before the...
Looking for tweets for measured.