from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Equal in duration.
- adj. Characterized by or occurring at equal intervals of time.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. having the same duration
- adj. happening at regular periods; isochronous, periodic
- adj. time dependent
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Uniform in time; of equal time; performed in equal times; recurring at regular intervals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Uniform in time; of equal time; performed in equal times. Two pendulums which vibrate in the same time are isochronal; also, the vibrations of a pendulum in the curve of a cycloid have the same property, being all performed in the same time, whether the arc be large or small. Also isochronous.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. equal in duration or interval
The assumption of isochronal behaviour is always a problem is both open and globular clusters.
Escapement friction plays an important role in the position and isochronal adjustments; the greater the friction encountered the slower the vibration of the balance.
There was something indescribably grim and bodeful in those isochronal batterings of the solid ground.
A trombone blatted -- there was the staccato tuck of a snare drum, and the boom of a bass drum came in with isochronal beats.
He chewed slowly, conscientiously and continuously on tobacco which bulged in his cheek; his jaws, moving as steadily as a pendulum swings, seemed to set the time for the isochronal whistle-blast.
It often happens, however, during the first critical epoch, which is isochronal with the technical educational period of a girl, that after a few occasions of catamenial hemorrhage, moderate perhaps but still hemorrhage, which are not heeded, the conservative force of Nature steps in, and saves the blood by arresting the function.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.