from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Acting or operating in a manner essentially independent of external influence or control: an automatic light switch; a budget deficit that triggered automatic spending cuts.
- adj. Self-regulating: an automatic washing machine.
- adj. Acting or done without volition or conscious control; involuntary: automatic shrinking of the pupils of the eyes in strong light. See Synonyms at spontaneous.
- adj. Acting or done as if by machine; mechanical: an automatic reply to a familiar question.
- adj. Capable of firing continuously until ammunition is exhausted or the trigger is released: an automatic rifle.
- adj. Semiautomatic: an automatic pistol.
- n. An automatic machine or device.
- n. An automatic firearm.
- n. A semiautomatic firearm.
- n. A transmission or a motor vehicle with an automatic gear-shifting mechanism.
- n. Football See audible.
- idiom on automatic Functioning by or as if by automatic machine or device.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Capable of operating without external control or intervention.
- adj. Done out of habit or without conscious thought.
- adj. Firing continuously as long as the trigger is pressed until ammunition is exhausted.
- adj. Automatically added to and removed from the stack during the course of function calls.
- n. A car with automatic transmission.
- n. A semi-automatic firearm.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having an inherent power of action or motion.
- adj. Pertaining to, or produced by, an automaton; of the nature of an automaton; self-acting or self-regulating under fixed conditions; operating with minimal human intervention; -- esp. applied to machinery or devices in which certain things formerly or usually done by hand are done by the machine or device itself; The opposite of
- adj. Not voluntary; not depending on the will; mechanical; controlled by the autonomic nervous system; without conscious control. The opposite of
- adj. like the unthinking functioning of a machine.
- n. light machine gun.
- n. a pistol that will keep firing until the ammunition is gone or the trigger is released.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Acting as an automaton.
- Conducted or carried on by self-acting machinery.
- In physiology: Not voluntary; not under the control of, or not effected by, volition: said of certain muscular actions.
- Not reflex: said, for example, of certain activities of ganglion-cells.
- n. One who is subject to automatism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. resembling the unthinking functioning of a machine
- n. a pistol that will keep firing until the ammunition is gone or the trigger is released
- adj. operating with minimal human intervention; independent of external control
- adj. without volition or conscious control
- n. light machine gun
No effort is required to dissolve them, which is the meaning of the term automatic liberation (rang-grol, self-liberation).
The term automatic data capture is also known as automatic identification and data capture.
1 The term 'automatic telephone dialing system' means equipment which uses a random or sequential number generator to produce telephone numbers to be called and to dial such numbers.'
FOSTER: Now, Darling says he aims to ban what he called automatic bonuses and expects to introduce legislation putting that into effect in the next few weeks.
What many companies went to was what we call automatic billing.
To this Marill attached a crude form of modem, operating at 2,000 bits per second, which he called an automatic dialer.
Thus what we call automatic is really an overflow of what has previously been stored up.
I think they do that because even though "automatic" is just "semi-auto", like my 1911, "automatic" just sounds more deadly to sheep who don't know any better.
I recommend using NotePad++'s built-in automatic Backup feature along side this.
Every man should have a built-in automatic crap detector operating inside him.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.