from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A long narrow pipe through which darts or pellets may be blown. Also called blowpipe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a hollow tube through which a dart or similar missile may be blown
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A tube, as of cane or reed, sometimes twelve feet long, through which an arrow (sometimes poisoned) or other projectile may be impelled by the force of the breath. It is a weapon much used by certain Indians of America and the West Indies; -- called also blowpipe, and blowtube. See sumpitan.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pipe or tube through which missiles are blown by the breath. Those used by certain Indians of South America are of wood, from 7 to 10 feet long, with a bore not larger than the little finger; through them are blown poisoned arrows made of split cane or other light material, from a foot to 15 inches in length, and wound at the butt with some fibrous material so as to fit the bore of the blow-gun. A similar blow-gun is in use among the Dyaks of Borneo. Also called blow-tube, and blowpipe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a tube through which darts can be shot by blowing
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The accessories are nice, except for the blowgun is a little too flexible.
Yes | No | Report from lukem wrote 49 weeks 1 day ago you could probably kill one with a blowgun if you wanted too ... but to be on the safe side I would want to bring more gun.
As far as I can tell, it's not a magical flute, nor is it actually a blowgun equipped with tranquilizer darts.
They live in these big social groups out in the open; you're not craning your neck to watch someone up in the trees, or trying to shoot him with a blowgun dart.
Along the way, he has won respect for his ability to hunt monkeys with a blowgun and spend weeks trudging through an unforgiving jungle.
“Does he look like he might have a blowgun on him?”
Just find yourself a Curare plant and coat the tips of your blowgun darts with its juice.
Its toxicity is such that the local Emberá Indians rub their blowgun darts along the backs of these little frogs to make their darts poisonous.
I almost reached Nirvana once, but Courtney Love took me down with her heroin-tipped blowgun darts.
Hell, you can kill an animal with a swiftly thrown rock if you want or a blowgun for all I care or a .500 T-Rex magnum if its what you like.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.