from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pistol having a revolving cylinder with several cartridge chambers that may be fired in succession.
- n. One that revolves, as a part of a mechanism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A handgun with a revolving chamber enabling several shots to be fired without reloading.
- n. Agent noun of revolve; something that revolves.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, revolves; specifically, a firearm ( commonly a pistol) with several chambers or barrels so arranged as to revolve on an axis, and be discharged in succession by the same lock; a repeater.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which revolves.
- n. Specifically— A revolving firearm, especially a pistol, having a revolving barrel provided with a number of bores (as in earlier styles of the weapon), or (as in modern forms) a single barrel with a revolving cylinder at its base, provided with a number of chambers.
- n. A revolving cannon.
- n. A revolving horse-rake.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pistol with a revolving cylinder (usually having six chambers for bullets)
- n. a door consisting of four orthogonal partitions that rotate about a central pivot; a door designed to equalize the air pressure in tall buildings
Sorry, no etymologies found.