from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or serving as an emblem; symbolic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Serving as, or relating to a symbol, emblem or illustration of a type
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, containing, or consisting in, an emblem; symbolic; typically representative; representing as an emblem
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or constituting an emblem; using or dealing in emblems; symbolic.
- Representative by some allusion or customary association; suggestive through similarity of qualities or conventional significance: as, a crown is emblematic of royalty; whiteness is emblematic of purity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being or serving as an illustration of a type
- adj. serving as a visible symbol for something abstract
French emblématique, from Medieval Latin emblēmaticus, of an emblem, from Latin emblēma, emblēmat-, emblem; see emblem.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)