from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Entirely or almost entirely surrounded by land: a landlocked country.
- adj. Confined to inland waters, as certain salmon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Surrounded by land (having no borders with the sea).
- adj. Living in freshwater, such as landlocked salmon.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Inclosed, or nearly inclosed, by land; having no border on the sea.
- adj. Confined to a fresh-water lake by reason of waterfalls or dams; -- said of fishes that would naturally seek the sea, after spawning.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Almost shut in by land; protected by surrounding land from the full force of the wind and waves: as, a landlocked harbor.
- Living in landlocked waters, or in any way shut off from the sea: as, a landlocked salmon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. surrounded entirely or almost entirely by land
Pakistan is a key supply route for fuel, military vehicles, spare parts, clothing and other non-lethal supplies for foreign troops in landlocked Afghanistan.
Some 80 percent of non-lethal supplies for foreign forces fighting in landlocked Afghanistan are transported over Pakistani soil after being unloaded at docks in Karachi, a port city in the south.
Around 80 percent of the fuel, spare parts, clothing and other non-lethal supplies for foreign forces in landlocked Afghanistan travels through Pakistan after arriving in the southern Arabian sea port of Karachi.
Could the story have the same power if set in landlocked Iowa or New York City streets?
Of course, my general tendency during these moments is to immediately share the moment- to let someone else live vicariously through me, which usually includes calling the landlocked parental units, who allow me to spill my excitement without getting too annoyed.
The kokanee -- also known as landlocked sockeye -- were introduced to Tahoe in the 1940s.
Physically, the Entire is a 'landlocked' universe.
Higher consumer prices, a more "landlocked" economy, further trade isolation.
( 'Used to,' because the Boeing and the Airbus long ago replaced the steamship; nobody needs a seaport to fulfill escapist fantasies, and 'landlocked' scarcely survives as a category.)
Auto Lamp is a kind of landlocked lighthouse in the form of an interior-lit 1996
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.