from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not varying; constant.
- adj. Mathematics Unaffected by a designated operation, as a transformation of coordinates.
- n. An invariant quantity, function, configuration, or system.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. not varying; constant
- adj. Unaffected by a specified operation (especially by a transformation)
- adj. Neither covariant nor contravariant.
- n. An invariant quantity, function etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An invariable quantity; specifically, a function of the coefficients of one or more forms, which remains unaltered, when these undergo suitable linear transformations.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not varying or changing; remaining always the same.
- n. In mathematics, a function of the coefficients of a quantic such that, if the quantic is linearly transformed, the same function of the new coefficients is equal to the first function multiplied by some power of the modulus of transformation.
- n. See the adjectives.
- In physical chemistry, having a variance equal to zero.
- n. An entity compounded of constituents, some of them subject to change or variation, which, despite this change, remains itself unchanged.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a feature (quantity or property or function) that remains unchanged when a particular transformation is applied to it
- adj. unvarying in nature
- adj. unaffected by a designated operation or transformation
Sorry, no etymologies found.