American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To change the appearance of, especially by marking with different colors; streak.
- v. To give variety to; make varied.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To diversify by means of different tints or hues; mark with different colors in irregular patches; spot, streak, dapple, etc.: as, to variegate a floor with marble of different colors.
- v. transitive to add variety to something; to diversify
- v. transitive to change the appearance of something, especially by covering with patches or streaks of different colour
- v. to dabble
- adj. variegated
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To diversify in external appearance; to mark with different colors; to dapple; to streak.
- v. change the appearance of, especially by marking with different colors
- v. make something more diverse and varied
- From Late Latin variegare ("to make of various sorts or colors"), from Latin varius ("various") + agere ("to make, do"). (Wiktionary)
- From Late Latin variegātus, past participle of variegāre : Latin varius, various + Latin agere, to do, drive; see ag- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Given that 'variegate' means 'to make varied in appearance or colour', what Dr”
“In some localities of the Venezuelan coast where waters are crystal-clear, a variegate community of sponges (33 species), tunicates (12), bivalves, and algae, can be found adhered to the submerged roots of R. mangle.”
“We had the fish, which, as the kind reader may remember, I had brought down in a delicate attention to Mrs. Ponto, to variegate the repast of next day; and cod and oyster-sauce, twice laid, salt cod and scolloped oysters, formed parts of the bill of fare until I began to fancy that the Ponto family, like our late revered monarch”
“We need houses to protect us from the seasons, and behold the materials with which we are provided; the growth of trees with their adornment of leaves; while rocks of stone piled above the plains variegate the prospect with their pleasant irregularity.”
“Tropic Coral': tall erythrina (Erythrina variegate L.).”
“Erythrina variegate has a reputation for medicinal properties in India, China and Southeast Asia.”
“Farmers in India appreciate E. variegate as fodder, light timber and, more recently, pulp for the paper industry.”
“Erythrina variegate is successfully propagated from seed or large stem cuttings.”
“Tropic Coral': tall erythrina (Erythrina variegate L).”
“Commonly used, dual purpose shade/fodder species include Albizia chinensis, A. odoratissima, A. procera, Gliricidia sepium, Erythrina poeptugiana, E. subumbrans and E. variegate.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘variegate’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
Words taken from Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
Words as I learn them.
A list of words that I have generated over time.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
All the words I've come across whose definitions I did not know then.
Looking for tweets for variegate.