from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various government officials in India, especially a regional prime minister.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A holder of any of various offices in various (usually Islamic) countries, usually some sort of councillor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In India: A financial officer formerly appointed under the Mohammedan governments in each province for the purpose of superintending the collection of the revenue, etc.
- n. The chief financial minister of a state.
- n. The prime minister of a native state.
- n. The chief native officer of certain government establishments, as the mint.
- n. In Bengal, a native servant in confidential charge of the dealings of a house of business with natives, or of the affairs of a large domestic establishment.
Hindi dīvān, from Persian, account book.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ultimately from Persian دیوان (dīvān). (Wiktionary)