from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several fishes that are reddish in color, as the red drum and the rosefish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Edible red rockfish, Sebastes marinus, found in North America, also called rosefish or ocean perch.
- n. A large red edible fish, Sciaenops ocellata, also called channel bass or red drum.
- n. A slimehead.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The blueback salmon of the North Pacific; -- called also nerka. See blueback (b).
- n. The rosefish.
- n. A large California labroid food fish (Trochocopus pulcher); -- called also fathead.
- n. The red bass, red drum, or drumfish. See the Note under drumfish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The blue-backed salmon, Oncorhynchus nerka.
- n. The red perch or rose-fish, Sebastes marinus or viviparus.
- n. The labroid fish Trochocopus or Pimelometopon pulcher; the fathead. See cut under fathead.
- n. The red-drum, Sciæna ocellata or Sciænops ocellatus; the southern red-horse.
- n. A preparation of fish, very popular among the Malays.
- n. An Australian holothurian, Actinopyga obesa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large edible fish found off coast of United States from Massachusetts to Mexico
- n. North Atlantic rockfish
- n. male salmon that has recently spawned
red + fish (Wiktionary)