from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bright red marine food fish (Sebastes marinus) of North Atlantic waters. Also called ocean perch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large marine food fish, Sebastes marinus, found on the northern coasts of Europe and America, and usually of a bright red colour when full grown.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large marine scorpænoid food fish (Sebastes marinus) found on the northern coasts of Europe and America. called also red perch, hemdurgan, Norway haddok, and also, erroneously, snapper, bream, and bergylt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A scorpæmoid fish, the Norway haddock, Sebastes marinus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. North Atlantic rockfish
- n. large fish of northern Atlantic coasts of America and Europe
rose + fish, from its colour. (Wiktionary)