from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various fishes living among rocks.
- n. Any of various fishes, chiefly of the genus Sebastes, of Pacific waters.
- n. See striped bass.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of a large number of different species of fish, which dwell among rocks, specifically:
- n. The rock salmon, the flesh of some fish
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several California scorpænoid food fishes of the genus Sebastichthys, . They are among the most important of California market fishes. Called also rock cod, and garrupa.
- n. The striped bass. See bass.
- n. Any one of several species of Florida and Bermuda groupers of the genus Epinephelus.
- n. An American fresh-water darter; the log perch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of several fishes which are found about rocks.
- n. A codfish split, washed, and dried on the rocks.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. marine food fish found among rocks along the northern coasts of Europe and America
- n. the lean flesh of any of various valuable market fish caught among rocks
- n. marine food and game fish with dark longitudinal stripes; migrates upriver to spawn; sometimes placed in the genus Morone
Sorry, no etymologies found.