from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A portable charcoal-burning brazier with a grill, used chiefly for cooking.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A portable brazier, powered by charcoal, used for cooking.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Japan, a pan or box in which charcoal is kept burning for the purpose of warming the hands or heating an apartment; a brazier.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. cook over a hibachi grill
- n. a portable brazier that burns charcoal and has a grill for cooking
Japanese : hi, fire + bachi, bowl (from Middle Chinese pat, puat, Buddhist monk's begging bowl, from Sanskrit pātram, cup, bowl).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
c. 1870, from Japanese 火鉢 (ひばち, hibachi, "A charcoal-powered heating brazier") (Wiktionary)